Thursday, July 3, 2008

Quarterly Shopping, Q&A part 1

Sassy asked:

Why not more shopping at Sam's? There are three parts to this answer. 1st is that I do a bit more shopping there than what was listed on this month's shopping list. That was just all I needed this month. So it isn't quite as bare as it looks. 2nd is that, like I mentioned in an earlier comment to Maria, I really don't like that we shop there. I have quite a few issues with walmart/sam's club, but those issues aren't (yet) sufficient enough to completely wean me off of Sam's. I do strive to break my dependence on them as much as possible though. But for most of the things we purchase there, we have such a massive price difference from anywhere else I can buy them. I can't really justify the cost to my family just to appease my conscience. 3rd, and probably most important to this discussion, we're brand snobs, pure and simple. LOL We buy very specific brands of almost everything. There are very few items that we don't care what brand we buy. And most of the things we buy, Sam's either doesn't carry our specific brand or the specific product within that brand. Examples: we only buy glad force flex odor shield trash bags - they carry many glad products, but not that one, they also carry hefty ultra flex... but there is only one we buy. They only sometimes carry our toothbrush heads. There are several more examples, but that really lowers the number of products we shop for there. I also try to buy very few food products there.

Coupon Sites? I don't often use coupon sites, though I occasionally will stumble across one I really want to use. I mostly use coupons sent to us for products we use (I let companies we are loyal to know it - companies really appreciate knowing those things.), coupons sent to us by the stores we shop at (we get coupons from all the stores on my shopping list, except sam's), coupons I get online at the stores websites or pick up in store, and coupons I print off from the companies websites.

Meal planning? Well, as mentioned, I plan our meals a year at a time. We buy our beef in bulk, from a local farm, a year at a time. I buy our chickens a quarter at a time, at our health food store, locally delivered from a farm here. The meat goes in the deep freeze. When I sit down to plan our meals for the year, I, pretty much unfailingly, follow a plan - it makes it easier for me to figure out meals. So, for us:

Sunday - used to be for Amanda to plan and cook, but she is really slacking on the job, and it is definitely not my hill to die on, so starting this quarter, I'm taking it over. I don't have a firm plan for this night, except EASY. I'll figure out a more precise plan for it as I start working on next year's menu.

Monday - Beef

Tuesday - Seafood, Pork, or Vegetarian. We do not eat a lot of any of these, so once or twice a month works out just fine. Also, if I need to cancel a meal later in the plan b/c I know now that we will be traveling, I have often moved a cancelled favorite into this spot. Not counting that though, it averages out to once a month each for pork and seafood, and twice a month for vegetarian.

Wednesday - Kim and Amanda's night out. When I have my act together and am not exhausted, I will cook something super easy for myself or heat up leftovers. Most of the time, I use my allowance and get delivery.

Thursday - Chicken

Friday - Soup 90% of the time. For a little variety I sometimes throw salad or sandwich in there, but that happens maybe once a quarter. It is pretty much soup night.

Saturday - Fun night... pizza, egg rolls, snack night, date night (Amanda fends for herself), occasionally delivery or take out. But usually home cooked, just a fun meal.

So within those parameters, I then start filling in meals. I try to add in a few new yummy sounding things each year, but we mostly eat favorites. I plan on cooking a whole chicken once a month (roast chicken dinner) usually, and then after that meal, I divide up the leftovers (I usually get three more meals worth of meat, plus broth) and freeze them for the chicken dinners the rest of the month. I figure out how much beef of each type I have (ground, steak, roast, chunks [for stew/stir fry/kebabs]), and then figure out what meals I want to have of each, and then divide them up in the menu. Once a month (usually first Saturday of the month), Kim and I have date night, where we go out for a meal (we date weekly, but usually work it around meal times). Once a month, usually the last Saturday of the month, but shuffled around for holidays and parties, we have snack night - everyone picks one snack to contribute and then we all share them for dinner. From there, I just plan meals, trying to get every one's favorites in.

I think I am saving money, especially on the things that I buy in bulk. But groceries are just so outrageously expensive these days, it can make it hard to appreciate it. Hope this helps - let me know if you have any other questions! (In some ways it is easier for me to answer questions, rather than just try to think of how to explain everything. :) )

2 comments:

SassyFemme said...

Do you have Costco near you, or a different wholesale club? Like you, while we have issues with WalMart/Sam's, it has to come down to prices, and they really are the cheapest for so many things. I have coworkers who rip me apart if I mention going to WalMart. We don't have a Target nearby, and I'm not going to waste the gas, pay more AND drive 30mn. just to get the same thing. One of them even told me to just do without. Uh, no. LOL

You boggle my brain with your planning. We generally go week by week, based on foods we like to eat, foods in season, and what's on sale at the grocery store. This week it was chicken breasts, so I bought 4 packages of 6. We eat lots of chicken anyway, so that'll last us a very long time.

We'll try the generic of anything we eat, and if it's good, then we continue to buy it. If it's not as good as the brand, then we stick with the brand.

If it makes you feel any better, we tried giving Jen one night to cook when she was younger. It was a colossal failure until she was in the second semester of her senior year, and could actually grasp that she'd have to know how to cook for herself in the near future. Now, as an adult, she's an amazing cook. It surprises us how much she actually did learn and pick up, just from hanging out in the kitchen with us, watching/listening.

I hadn't thought about going to company websites for coupons, I need to do that.

How did you come up with the idea of doing this plan?

Trop said...

Court makes us out to be bigger brand snobs than I think we are. More than brand, our real sticking point is the ingredient list for any food items we buy. Right now we are trying to go high fructose corn syrup free. We avoid MSG. In fact we avoid almost all processed or pre-prepared foods.

We ought to eat fish more often, but we don't because of Amanda's food allergies. She can't eat any seafood.

I think Courtney came out of the womb with a plan for her first 100 days. Her meal planning and shopping has evolved over the four years we've been together to where it is now. As a couple we've morphed from eating out most meals, to eating in most meals (and preparing them from scratch). She was strictly a microwaver when we met. Now we don't even own a microwave.

We shop at Kroger because they have so many quality organic foods. We also save $0.10 per gallon gas by shopping there. And we know the manager: he'll special order things for us (like my occasional indulgence in Pennsylvania birch beer). We recently earned a $60.00 off coupon from Kroger.