Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Quarterly Shopping, Part Two

Ok, I'm back! I've been really busy the past week. We've been doing some much needed home projects, and rearranging furniture. When we weren't working on those, I was busy planning out the shopping trip. A lot of work goes into it, but I definitely think the pay off of not having to do it again for a while is worth it. This post will hopefully go a bit more into the how-to of our shopping.

First, Kim and Amanda are given a deadline for getting their requests in. I try to give them a month's notice, and then lots of reminders as the deadline approaches. For my own sanity, I give them a deadline that falls 3-4 days before I actually want the lists... everyone stays a lot happier that way. Oh, and they aren't required to list household/toiletry-type items that they need, their list is just for snacky food/drink type things. While they are working on that, I gather up all the notes that we have kept over the past three months of extras that we need. For example, this month we are getting a new case of mason jars, a moleskine notebook for Kim, a meat hammer/tenderizer, and a new potato scrubber. Those extra things that are either one time purchases, or only very, very occasionally need replacing.

Next, I sit down with my master shopping checklist. I know how many of each thing I need to have on hand for a three month period, so as I go through the house, I know I need to have *at least* that many on hand. For example, I know I need to have 6 of our handsoaps for a three month period. I currently have 3. So when I sit down with my final shopping list, I will make a note that I need to get at least 3 more. However, and I will go into this more later, I also follow the guidelines of stockpiling. So while I know I need a minimum of three, I also set a dollar limit on how much I can spend to make it all fit within my budget. I keep track of how much things actually cost (hand soap is $2.49/bottle at Target) and will set that amount, times however many I *need* to get, as the cost in my final shopping list. So my budget for the soap will be $7.50. And here is where stockpiling comes in. If I can find a coupon for the soap, or if Target is running a sale on it, then I get as many *over* three as I can still fit in the assigned budget for that item. Last time, this particular soap was on sale so I ended up getting two extra, which reduced the amount I need to buy this time, which definitely saves money, in case the soap isn't on sale this time.

Now, taking a moment to side note. You may have noticed a few glaringly obvious things missing from my master checklist. Items such as: toilet paper, laundry detergent, dishwasher detergent, dish soap, and tea/coffee/cocoa. Also: fabric softener/dryer sheets, other paper goods (such as paper towels), household cleaners, and maybe some other things. Well, we don't buy anything from that second set because we don't use them at all. The items in the first set we do use, but I purchase all of those things online, in *very* large bulk orders, and most of them on a rotating schedule, so that I am not hit with needing to make that big investment very often.

Next up on the list making, I start figuring out what food items we will need. I look first at our meal plan for the quarter. Luckily, (because it isn't a task I particularly love) our meal plan is already laid out for the year. I put them together a year at a time, so I only need to refine it when I'm looking ahead to each quarter. I take the time at this point to go through and make note of any trips I know we will be taking, or if I know of a specific event we have going on that will affect the plan and adjust to remove or change those meals. The result is a pretty accurate look at what we will be eating for the next three months. Here you can see a sample week in our plan. (It actually looks a lot neater than that in my real spreadsheet, but oh well.) You may have noticed the shopping list column. That is SO very handy for me. I have a tendency to forget the most obvious aspects of meal planning - like the time it totally didn't register that we would need hamburger buns to go with our *hamburger* dinner. Yeah. In that column, I list every single possible ingredient I might need, including pantry staples like salt and pepper and flour.

Then I turn to my shopping list and itemize everything that appears in each week's grocery list. It gets very long (obviously). I don't have any sample documents from this stage because I do not save them in this state. I then do a sort so all same items are listed together (i.e. 20 rows of flour). I figure out how many times something has been listed, and then put the number in column b, next to the first time that item is mentioned, and then I delete the other 19 rows of flour. Unfortunately, I don't have a sample of it in this form either. But finally, I figure out just how much *actual quantity* of each item I'm going to need. Just because flour appeared 20 times, doesn't mean I need 20 *bags* of flour, kwim? So once I figure out how much I need, the final grocery list starts taking shape. Finally, following the guidelines for stockpiling mentioned above, I take note of how many of these things I already have in the house and then mark them off, or alter amounts accordingly. Oh, also at this stage, I fold in any requests from Kim and Amanda, anything extra I want, and any extras I think we may need. Once the final edit of this list is done, I put together the final shopping list.

The final list includes EVERYTHING we will definitely be buying. The amounts that appear next to most of the items indicate the minimum amount I must get. The prices in the last column indicate the maximum amount I have to spend. If, because of sales or coupons, I can get more than the minimum for no more than the maximum, we have had a very successful stockpiling trip. You can see the stores we shop at in the middle column. After everything is entered into the list, I sort it by store, and then, within each store group, manually sort it by aisle or by the way we move about the store. I don't *always* take time to do the last step, but it is so very helpful when I do, and makes for much less backtracking.

Ok, more, including pictures, coming soon.

8 comments:

SassyFemme said...

I'm really taking my time to go through and absorb all of this, and hopefully learn something. I *really* wish y'all lived closer, I'd love to actually talk in person to you about this.

Back to looking at it all...

Trop said...

The woman is awesome Sassy. I am well taken care of.

Syd said...

I love you girls. But this is a special brand of crazy.

Ting said...

Found my way over here from Trop's blog. :-)

I wish we could plan ahead, at least monthly, but with two young kids and a very unpredictable visitation schedule with them, it's hard to know what's going on week to week.

We are usually never home at lunch on Saturday, so we have added lunches out into our budget. It's always something cheap like fast food.

SassyFemme said...

I'm curious why you're not doing more of your shopping at Sam's? Wouldn't it save more money to buy the quantities you need in bulk there?

What coupon sites are you using, or are you using them? I'm using http://coupons.smartsource.com and http://www.couponmom.com

Do you plan your menus based on foods you want, or foods (such as meats) you find on sale and purchase/freeze?

I'll be curious if you find that this saves you money in the long run.

mute said...

I agree with Syd...this is, indeed, a special brand of crazy. Or, really, just the mere fact that I can't even wrap my head around that style of organization.

And, uh, where do you put three months' worth of stuff?!

Anonymous said...

I go to the store when I need something....sometimes once a week, sometimes daily, sometimes a couple times a day.
This is beyond comprehension to me.

Court said...

Syd, Kris, and KL - y'all crack me up. I've never suggested that I might *not* be crazy. ;)

Kris - I've got pics coming soon, that will definitely include our storage areas.

Ting - Glad you found your way here! Honestly, if I was in your shoes, I would still plan ahead a month at a time. But I am admittedly a real planning freak. But I totally think you could handle a monthly plan. Plan your meals, but anything that is perishable decide to buy a week, or even a few days, at a time. That allows for the planning, but the flexibility to move or delete meals as needed for your schedule. I know we definitely saved mega bucks when we moved to a monthly plan, versus the spontaneous non-plan we used the first almost-year we were together. We had to relearn flexibility the first month or so of Amanda's soccer this past spring, but planning and flexibility really don't have to be mutually exclusive.

Sassy - I'm going to answer your comments in a post.